Constructed in 1928, Knoxville's 17-floor, 205' tall Andrew Johnson Hotel reigned as the city's tallest building until 1979. The hotel, designed by the Knoxville firm of Baumann & Baumann was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, and today it is utilized as an office building. Named in honor of U. S. president Andrew Johnson, the landmark, located at 912 South Gay Street, was among Knoxville's premier hotels for a number of years, serving as a popular lodging destination for tourists visiting the Great Smoky Mountains just south of the city.
One of the hotel's most distinguished guests was country music legend Hank Williams, but, in actuality, Williams spent just a few hours of his last night there. Atlanta Journal-Constitution writer Jim Tharpe interviewed the singer-songwriter's chauffeur, Charles Carr, fifty years after that fateful night. The resulting article, published on December 30, 2002, recounted in detail the events that transpired just prior to Williams' death.